Tuesday, January 9, 2007

16 1/2 hours and counting

I should have packed by now. Nonetheless, I haven't. Its 1:44 in the AM the night before my trip and it literally looks downtown Baghdad in my room. I'm surrounded by Zip lock bags full of everything and anything you could possibly imagine. I probably shouldn't have stayed out with the boys until midnight on my last night. Nevertheless, I crushed a Red Bull an hour ago and still seem to have energy.

Here's what "Rough Guide: First time around the world" says to pack....

1 Tshirt
1 Long sleeve polypropylene shirt
1 micro fleece
1 rain jacket
1 poncho
1 thin beach towel
1 swimsuit
1 pair of trousers
1 pair of socks
1 pair of sandals
2-4 sets of underwear
1 collapsible hat
1 bandanna
1 pair of shorts
Toiletries (the usuals)
Gear Bag (duck tape, crazy glue, ear plugs, pocket knife, rubber drain plug, sleep sheet, lighter)
Medical bag (first aid junk, much emphasis on condoms, tiger balm, laxatives, assorted pills)

So, here is the problem... I don't have any of this shit!! I do have ear plugs and a sleep sheet. I was planning on packing 7-10 T-shirts. I guess that's not such a good idea.

How the hell are you supposed to go on a trip around the world with one pair of socks??? What the hell is tiger balm?? Polypropylene??? How am I supposed to trust a book that calls pants "trousers"?

My flight leaves at 6:34 out of the worst airport on planet earth, Dulles International. Mom and Dad are driving. If I'm ready to go at 2pm tomorrow and don't forget anything it will truly be an act of God. If I make it to the airport with my passport and plane tickets I'm chalking this up as a big win.

Here are the books I'm taking:

Time Out Argentina Guidebook
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Rough Guides:First time Around the World
Conversational Spanish in 7 Days "Los Tacos son bueno"
The Rough Guide to Chile
The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey by Che Guevara

Mark my words: I will watch the Ravens break Peyton Manning in BA on Saturday.

My next update will be from Argentina. Something tells me I'll have a few interesting stories by the next time I find a computer.

No comments:

8 months in South America blew my mind and changed my life.

Where I have been... Next up: A cross country US Roadtrip, and Africa

------ Next up...AFRICA. I feel pretty good about crushing the Americas